Friday, May 12, 2006

Realism

I've just finished reading the first section and the first word that popped into my head was realistic. I'm not Asian (at least not oriental Asian) but when various characters in the book -most notably June's mother- cry out "Aii-ya!", I can't help but think of my mom's Asian co-workers that come to my house during the summer to exchange cultural food, and somehow everyone happens to leave the house saying "Aii-ya" at least one- including my mother. It's an annual meeting-something almost related to the Joy Luck Club.

Moreover, the grammer (or lack thereof) from June's elders from China also add to the realism that Amy Tan depicts. Page 31 "Your mother is in your bones!" That quote isn't really a lack of grammer but it seemed awkward- I think she meant "blood" but who am I to say?

I skimmed through the book when I first got it and it looks like it's told from various view points. Most likely all those who talk through first person are related to each other in some way. Perhaps they are the sisters that June's (Jing-Mei) mother wanted to her find in China. Or they could be the mothers of the daughters in this book. I must admit that the author throws a lot of information at you and I sometimes forget what I just read but I don't really mind. Regardless, the first part of the book and I am compelled to read the others. On to The Twenty-Six Malignant Gates..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home