Friday, May 19, 2006

Just American


The stories in this book have pushed me, in one way or another, to look up on the Japanese invasion in China. And believe me- there's so many words you can think of to describe it, yet when you see a mere picture, a thousand words seems much, much to short.

Check out the picture at the left. It's hard to imagine having any hope of joy during a time like this, especially knowing that one day, they might come. China's history is so rich- filled with turmoil, sadness, silk (of course) but yet they still stand today, not as a country that has no future but rather one that's trying to create one. On multicultural day, I got to see how Chinese dresses looked like and they truly are exquisite. They are, for the most part, tight fitting, showing off the figure of a woman yet leaving the body underneath up to the imagination.

I just finished watching a movie (I'm not sure the name) and there's this oriental woman talking to this guy that she rescued. He's from Hong Kong but he's white and he's making an "authentic" dish from China. The woman smiles and tells the man that she's not too into what he's cooking. The man looks at her with an amused face exclaiming "But you're Chinese!" She lets out a short laugh and says "Oh no I'm not. I'm American. Born right here in California." This one line made me think about the daughters in this book- it's as they don't consider themselves Asian. Just American.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home