Saturday, May 20, 2006

Admiration With A Pinch of Pity

I've read a good deal of the book (I’m almost to the end!) and I've decided who I like and who (inevitably) I don't. It may occur to you as being callous but I truly have deep feelings toward some characters, whether it be hatred and contempt or affection and respect.

To start with, I look at Waverly with the utmost admiration but at the same time, I pity her. Is that possible? I’ll let you be the judge of that. Right off the bat, you can see Waverly is a very ambitious and intelligent girl, no one can deny that. I saw that as soon as I read about her in the beginning- a child prodigy at age 9. She’s one of those remarkable people that were somehow blessed into being a natural genius without really trying. I think, for the most part, that Waverly is the most rebellious daughter in the book. I can’t help but think back to Amy Tan’s biography that Ms. Faughey read, and feel like Waverly mirrors Amy.

The rebelliousness, I assume, is simply a way to find their true meaning-of themselves at least. Waverly wears fashionable clothes and even in the first chapter in her viewpoint, she is clearly embarrassed to even be seen with her mother. Also, she doesn’t seem to be too happy about her Chinese identity. When she goes to the hairdresser, she’s appalled by the fact that Rory (the hairstylist) insists that she looks like her mother. Now I can’t back up on this conclusion, but I do think that the two have much in common- that being that their personality is quite similar. On page 53, Lindo, Waverly’s mother, says:
“I asked myself, What is true about a person? Would I change in the same way the river changes color but still be the same person?... I realized it was the first time I could see the power… I looked into the mirror… what I saw was even more valuable. I was strong. I was pure. I had genuine thoughts inside that no one could see, that no one could ever take away from me… And then I draped the… scarf over my face and covered these thoughts up. But underneath the scarf I still knew who I was. I made a promise to myself: I would always remember my parents’ wishes, but I would never forget myself.”

It is the last sentence that truly sums up Lindo’s bravery and her independence. She found peace with the realization that others could say or do what they sought to, but only she was able to know the real her- her true identity. I believe this is what made her come to terms with her doomed marriage and I can also see where Waverly’s attitude comes from. It’s almost a carefree attitude, like Waverly doesn’t have a care in the world what people think of her. Yes, she may be brash but I believe that is her nature. She looks down on those beneath her (check her out when she made fun of Jing-Mei) and I believe that is where my pity comes in.

Waverly is always struggling and never quite finding her identity as her mother quite did. She puts people down (a lot!) and you know how people say that when you make fun of someone else, it’s because of your own insecurities. She makes fun of Jing-Mei and I think she should feel a little bit jealous. Jing-Mei, although pushed by her mother to be something she was not, did not endure it like Waverly. All the spitefulness that Waverly has made toward her mother has changed her. Throughout most of the novel, as I’ve read so far, Miss Waverly must be the character that is most controversial and I must give Amy Tan props for the best characterization on Waverly’s part that I’ve ever read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home